Description of the wudhoo of the Prophet
March 18, 2014 § 1 Comment
Description of the wudhoo of the Nabee salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam by Shaykh Muhammad Ramzaan:
Summary of the main points:
The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, “He who performs the Wudhoo’ perfectly, his sins will depart from his body, even from under his nails.” Narrated by Muslim
– Say Bismillah when beginning wudhoo, we do not say bismillah ar-Rahmaan ar-Raheem. If you forget to say bismillah, you say so when you remember.
– When washing the hands the shaykh talked about takhleel which means to pass the fingers of one hand through the fingers of the other hand to ensure water has reached the spaces in between, and also washing the baraajim (the finger joints – i.e. the knuckles) and it is from the sunan of the fitrah to do so.
– Then the shaykh specified rinsing the mouth and washing the nose by putting in water and then blowing it out. He stressed that you do it in one go; putting the water in with the right hand and blowing out using the left hand. (The left hand is usually used for such tasks like cleaning oneself).
– The face is to be washed: it starts from the hairline, and the sides up to the ears, to the bottom of chin. If your beard is big and lengthy, then go between it with the wet fingers. But if it’s light then wash it the water.
– Washing the arms begins from the tip of the fingers to the elbow joint area, not going beyond that.
– You do this how many times? Thrice. But what about if you wash your hands thrice, then rinse the nose twice, and wash the face once? Laa ba’s – it is not an issue. Once is the least and it is the obligatory amount. He said that if you do above three repetitions this is dhulm, anything beyond is not from the way of the Messenger alayhi salaatu was salaam. You can do once, twice, thrice – not more.
– But when wiping the head and then the ears, it is done once only. Notice the shaykh said مسح which is wiping, not washing like you would do for the rest of the limbs in wudhoo. You wipe by starting at the front of hairline and then moving your hands all the way to the end of your head, then coming back to the front. Next you insert the index finger into the ear and with the thumb finger (the ibhaam) you wipe the back of your ear.
Some of the people wipe the head by just touching the front of their head with water, this is not proper wudhoo! The Shaykh said: O Muslim, fear Allaah, and wipe completely like the Messenger salAllaahu alayhi was-sallam did.
– Lastly the feet, again here you’d do takhleel: by using the pinky finger on the left hand. And we must ensure not to miss out on washing the ankles as there’s a hadeeth that says: Waylun lil a’qaabi min-an-naar. Translates as: Save the ankles from the fire. Hadeeth is saheeh narrated in al-Bukhaaree.
– You finish off by saying : ‘Ash-hadu an la ilaha illallaahu Wahdahu la sharika Lahu, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa Rasooluhu (I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah Alone, Who has no partners and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger), And in the narration in At- Tirmidhee, it is added: “Allahummaj-‘alni minat-tawwabina, waj-‘alni minal-mutatahhirin (O Allah make me among those who repent and purify themselves
*We must take precaution to do our wudhoo correctly as our salah is not valid without proper wudhoo!
صـفـة وضـوء الـنـبـي -صلى الله عليه وسلم-..لفضيلة الشيخ محمد بن رمزان الهاجري]